Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Interview with Mompreneur Suzanne Price

Suzanne Price and her adorable baby girl.
Suzanne Price & her adorable baby girl with our Elephant in Milky Blue Crib Set.  Pink Honecomb Frame.
Suzanne Price is a true mompreneur (mother entrepreneur) having founded Sprout, an amazing boutique in San Francisco, California. Sprout is a natural and organic children’s boutique, where parents can help create a healthy and safe environment for their children. Just like Raksha Bella, creating a beautiful and organic home is Suzanne’s dream.
Mompreneur Suzanne Price
Raksha Bella: Why did you start your business?
Suzanne Price: I was working at an investment bank as a research analyst focused on the organic industry. I learned so much that I knew when I became a mom I would only want to surround my child with natural and organic products. I looked around and saw that it was not easy to find all of these products for babies in one place, so I decided to create it.
RB: What keeps you balanced and sane while juggling being a mom and running a business?
Suzanne: Sane? I don’t know if I have been able to stay sane, but I have learned to ask for help and to delegate. I have learned that I can’t be in control of everything myself.
RB: Being a Raksha Bella Mama, it’s assumed that you already practice mindful parenting.  What is your most important parenting “practice”?
Suzanne: I am still learning, but one thing I try to do is to let my daughter explore the world around her. I do not put her in a “jumperoo” or “exercsaucer” to entertain her. I let her roam around the apartment and explore while I keep an eye on her.
RB: What is your definition of sustainability?
Suzanne: Sustainability means keeping the earth in the same or better condition than we found it. This is hard to do today. As Sprout, our concern is just to keep our children’s bodies as close as possible to the condition in which they were born and not to taint them with the harmful chemicals that are so present in our world.
RB: How do you integrate that with running a business and child rearing?
Suzanne: In terms of the business, keeping our children surrounded by natural materials is the basis for the decision in every product we stock, sometimes even knowing we are losing potential sales by not stocking something we are unsure of. As a parent, I know my child will be exposed to many things that I wish she would be protected from, so all I can do is control the environment at home as well as possible.
RB: Do you buy organic foods?
Suzanne: I only feed my daughter organic foods and buy only organic for myself when I am cooking. With eating outside the home, it is impossible.
RB: Why do you want organic baby products in your store and in your home?
Suzanne: Babies are so much more susceptible to everything the come in contact with. Their skin is more porous and their endocrine system is still developing. Many chemicals in the food, personal care products, and clothing that are sold these days have never really been tested. They may be okay for us but we do not yet know the lasting effects these chemicals may have on our children’s development.
RB: What are your 5 most essential organic purchases for yourself and family?
Suzanne: The 5 most essential organic purchases are:
1. Organic food and formula – this is directly entering your baby’s system
2. Organic personal care – a baby’s skin is so new and porous and is a much higher percentage of their body than an adult’s.
3. Natural household cleaners – Your child and your family breathe in these products every day.
4. Organic mattress and bedding – babies spend up to 16 hours a day in their crib, breathing in whatever is underneath them.
5. Wood and natural plush toys – babies put everything in their mouths! They don’t need to be chewing on plastic.
Thank you, Suzanne for founding Sprout and dedicating your time to creating healthy home environments for children. What an intelligent and caring mompreneur you are.
San Francisco Store
1828 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
(415) 359-9205
Mon – Sat: 10 – 7
Sunday and holidays: 11 – 6
New York City Store
1375 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10075
(212) 861-0670
Mon – Sat: 10 – 7
Sunday and holidays: 11 – 6

No comments:

Post a Comment